New Model Guide
2019 Toyota RAV4
November 2018 | by Richard Ha
Replacing the 2018 RAV4 is the all-new redesigned 2019 Toyota RAV4. Made in Canada and built on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform, the fifth-generation RAV4 combines rugged styling, robust performance, and intelligent features with a premium interior and lots of cargo space.
The implementation of the TNGA platform allows RAV4 to be lower and wider, while still within the character of a bold and tough SUV. The longer wheelbase and wider front and rear tracks provide a stable, confident driving platform. For off-road prowess, shorter front and rear overhangs aid in RAV4’s ability to overcome rugged terrain.
The unibody chassis increases rigidity, while a multi-link rear suspension provides ideal damping for handling, road noise, and ride comfort. Ground clearance has been increased by more than half an inch, yet RAV4 is able to achieve improved aerodynamics.
360-degree visibility is improved with relocated side mirrors (now positioned lower on the door), a lowered beltline and enlarged rear-quarter glass. This increases the feeling of spaciousness in the cabin without compromising passenger safety.
Sporty or Premium
RAV4 XSE Hybrid comes standard with a two-tone exterior paint scheme. A black roof is paired with either Blizzard Pearl, Silver Sky Metallic, Magnetic Grey Metallic, or Blueprint (new colour). RAV4 XSE Hybrid’s exclusive interior comes mono-spec with black Softex material and blue accents throughout.
RAV4 Trail can be had with an Ice Edge-coloured roof that is paired with one of four exterior colours: Midnight Black Metallic or Wild Blue, both of which are new for RAV4; Magnetic Grey Metallic; or Lunar Rock, an all-new colour to the Toyota lineup. Inside, interior seat finishes come in either black or a Mocha-coloured Softex, a brand-new interior finish in the Toyota lineup. Orange stitching and accents adorn the interior in the Trail.
As the top grade, RAV4 Limited adds 19-inch alloy wheels and chrome accents to set it apart from the other grades. Standard features include a front-row moonroof and 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory and 2-way lumbar support. Additional content that enhances the ambiance includes ventilated front seats and heated rear seats. A hands-free power liftgate helps considerably by opening with a wave of the foot below the rear bumper.
Tech-wise, RAV4 Limited comes standard with a newly-designed 7-inch Multi-Information Display (MID) and, for the first time in a Toyota vehicle in North America, a Digital Display Rearview Mirror. By default, the display is a conventional rearview mirror but with the flip of a switch, drivers have an increased field of vision coming through the rearview mirror, displaying what is behind the vehicle thanks to a high-mounted, adjustable wide-angle high-definition camera affixed on the rear of vehicle.
Smarter Than Ever
Every trim level of the all-new 2019 RAV4 now comes standard with Toyota’s latest package of active safety technologies, Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0, including
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
- Capability to detect a preceding vehicle or pedestrian in daytime or nighttime (nighttime is new), or daytime bicyclist (new), and alert the driver (audible and visual warnings) and/or apply brakes to help mitigate or avoid the collision in certain cases (using Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Brake Assist (BA), and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)).
- Full Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- An adaptive cruise control that functions at speeds between 0 to 180 km/h and enables low-speed speed matching, stopping, and acceleration/deceleration relative to a preceding vehicle traveling at a slower speed. Speed, cut-in, and distance control enhanced, as well as Turn Signal Linked control added, for a more natural response.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
- Newly added to LDA w/SA is the capability, under some circumstances, to detect the road’s edge, in addition to the pre-existing capability to detect visible lane markers and the vehicle’s position in the lane. If unintentional lane deviation is detected, the system alerts the driver with audible and visual warnings. Steering Assist provides small corrective steering inputs momentarily to help the driver prevent the vehicle from unintentionally leaving its lane.
- Automatic High Beams
- Capability to automatically activate and deactivate high beams based on driving environment and preceding vehicle’s lights.
- and Lane Tracing Assist
- Recognizes white or yellow lane markings or the path of a preceding vehicle if lane markers are temporarily not available; to identify and actively track the center of the lane by providing steering assistance to the driver. Reduces driver burden and supports safe driving, especially in traffic congestion or long highway trips.
RAV4 also comes with Blind-Spot Monitor, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, backup camera, eight airbags, and Toyota’s Star Safety System.
On the infotainment side, Toyota offers standard Entune 3.0 with Apple Carplay in the 2019 RAV4. The Entune 3.0 audio system comes standard with a 7.0” touchscreen, with an 8.0” touchscreen and Sirius-XM available when upgrading to the Entune 3.0 Audio Plus. Adding to the tech, RAV4 can be equipped with up to 5 USB ports, Qi wireless charger, and an 11-speaker, 800-watt JBL audio system.
RAV4’s power comes from one of two powertrains:
- Gas models: Dynamic Force 2.5-litre inline-four-cylinder engine with VVT-iE mated to an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission
- Hybrid models: Dynamic Force 2.5-litre inline-four-cylinder Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) engine with Continuously-Variable Transmission (CVT)
Drivers can look forward to anticipated class-leading fuel efficiency in the RAV4 Hybrid and increases in horsepower and acceleration across the entire lineup.
AWD Limited gas and Trail grade models come with Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive, which can intelligently distribute engine torque between wheels as needed for improved handling. On long stretches of highway when maximum fuel economy is desired, RAV4 utilizes its Driveshaft Disconnect system to significantly reduce energy loss and increase fuel efficiency.
Multi-Terrain Select comes standard on all AWD-equipped gas RAV4 models, giving drivers the ability to maximize traction when driving through snow, mud, sand, or rocks.
Available on the RAV4 Hybrid is the new All-Wheel Drive with Intelligence (AWD-i), which can increase torque to the rear wheels by 30 percent compared to the current generation AWD-i system. This new system senses road conditions to improve off-road performance and handling.
One For All
With an expanded lineup including twelve unique combinations, the 2019 Toyota RAV4 has something for everyone.
- The 2019 RAV4 LE is available in FWD, AWD, and Hybrid AWD with 17” alloy wheels on the latter two models
- Entune 3.0 Audio with Apple Carplay
- Blind-Spot Monitor with Rear-Cross Traffic Alert
- Heated Front Seats
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0
- The 2019 RAV4 XLE (FWD, AWD, Hybrid AWD) adds
- Heated Steering Wheel
- 2019 RAV4 XLE+ (AWD only) adds
- 19” Alloys
- Entune 3.0 Audio Plus
- Softex Leather Seats
- 2019 RAV4 TRAIL adds to the AWD XLE
- 19” TRAIL Alloys
- Rugged, Off-Road Design
- Entune 3.0 Audio Plus
- Softex Seats
- Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD
- Driveshaft Disconnect
- Rock & Dirt, Mud & Sand Drive Modes
- Unique White Roof
- 2019 RAV4 Limited (AWD and Hybrid AWD) adds
- Digital Rearview Mirror
- Rear Heated Seats
- Ventilated Front Seats
- Hands-free Power Liftgate
- All Hybrid AWD models add
- 1.3x more torque than gas model
- 910 km cruising range in Highway Mode
- XSE (Hybrid only) adds
- Sport-tuned suspension
- Unique Black Roof
- Enune Audio Plus
- Digital Rearview Mirror
- Unique Softex Seat
- XSE Tech (Hybrid only) adds
- Entune 3.0 Premium Audio (embedded navigation)
Heninger Toyota is now offering 2018 MSRP pricing on pre-orders of the 2019 RAV4. Call us or fill out the form in the sidebar to learn more.
has put over 50,000 happy Toyota owners on the road since 1968, and is celebrating its 50th anniversary as Western Canada’s original Toyota dealer.
- Rated 4.7 on both Google and DealerRater with over 1,600 authentic reviews.
- 6-time Consumer Choice Award winner in Southern Alberta since 2013.
- 2018 DealerRater Consumer Satisfaction Award.
- No-pressure shopping; our product specialists are not on commission to serve you better.
- 7-day/1,000 km Exchange Guarantee on our Certified & Advantage Pre-Owned vehicles.