New Model Guide
2020 Toyota Highlander & Highlander Hybrid New Model Guide
January 2020 | by Richard Ha
2020 Highlander gives Top-of-Class Hybrid Fuel Efficiency and New Largest 12.3” Display
- Best-in-class fuel economy with an estimated 6.7L/100 km combined for the Hybrid AWD
- First-class Highlander ever – redesigned from floor up with all-new TNGA-enabled fashion and overall performance
- Starting MSRP of $42,420
- Hybrid just $2,000 more than the equivalent gas version
- Available Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD with Driveline Disconnect and Multi-Terrain Sel.
- Safety Sense 2.0; Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility
To be had with regular gasoline or self-charging gasoline-electric powered hybrid powertrains, with a number of trim levels to match each flavor and price range, the brand new 2020 Highlander line-up is a considerable step above the version it replaces, and ready to re-define the comfortable mid-sized SUV segment it created.
An aggressive $2,000 premium lets Canadians get into a Highlander Hybrid, which gives a best-in-class 6.7 L/100 km.
Toyota’s New global architecture (TNGA) platform finally makes its way to the Highlander, with 2020 versions setting a new bar over previous generations. Overall performance has improved with quicker acceleration, a more parking-lot-friendly turning radius, and an even smoother and quieter ride.
The TNGA platform frees the Highlander’s layout, giving it an aggressive yet purposeful stance and a confident, classy demeanor. Little attentions to detail such as the side mirrors and tail lights all contribute to the 2020 Highlander’s aerodynamic performance; reducing wind noise, stabilizing the vehicle, and optimizing fuel economy.
The 2020 Highlander provides 5 new colour options:
- Ruby Flare Pearl
- Magnetic Grey Metallic
- Moon Dust (pictured above)
- and Opulent Amber.
Continuing from 2019 are the familiar Toyota white, black and silver.
The new Highlander’s cabin has also undergone a full makeover. Toyota implements design improvements all over the interior, from the doors to easier 3rd-row access and increased overall legroom. Highlanders with seating for 8 get a full 3-person seat for the 2nd row, while 7-seat models give two luxurious captain’s chairs. Premium, soft-touch surfaces provide a plush feel more akin to modern luxury sedans.
There’s also the ability to quickly stow both the 2nd and 3rd rows to open up 454 L of cargo space.
The 2020 Highlander also gets Toyota Connected Services. Select trim packages get Safety Connect, Service Connect, Remote Connect, and Destination Assist. And for the first time ever, full compatibility with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™.
Choice of thrust:
- The Highlander gas version gets the new 295 hp, 2GR-FKS 3.5-litre V6 engine mated to an 8-speed automatic. Expect better fuel efficiency, a reduction in emissions, and more immediate acceleration compared to the previous six-cylinder engine. Four AWD configurations provide the fun with a Toyota factory towing package, which includes Trailer Sway control and a 5,000 lb. rating. Front-wheel propulsion is also available.
- Highlander Hybrids feature a brand-new self-charging hybrid-electric system. The powertrain combines an efficient Atkinson cycle four-cylinder engine, torque-y electric motor/generators, a CVT transmission and it all adds up to a 243 total horsepower rating. Hybrid battery efficiency has improved, and its smaller footprint fits neatly under the rear seats. This all-new hybrid synergy drive earns a 19% improvement in fuel efficiency over the previous hybrid, with comparable system horsepower to the gas-powered Highlander. the brand new hybrid isn’t always only the most efficient Highlander so far – it’s additionally now more efficient than many gas-powered compact sedans and is anticipated to top the segment in fuel performance. All 2020 Highlander Hybrids come with AWD. The 2020 Highlander Hybrid models will come at a cost that’s just $2,000 more than their gas-engine counterparts.
Safety is not forgotten, headlined by Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 – a sophisticated suite of technologies that provides peace of mind. Also standard are the Toyota Star Safety System, Blind Spot with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, a backup camera, and tire pressure monitor.
5 Traditional Gas-powered Models
Toyota Highlander L (starting all-in MSRP: $42,420+GST) is the FWD 8-passenger entry, with
- 18” alloy wheels.
- 8” touchscreen plus Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility
- Heated front seats
- 4.2” multi-information display
- Smart Key with Push Button Start
- LED headlamps
- 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
- and an automatic parking brake.
The 2020 Toyota Highlander LE AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $44,105+GST)
- Connected Services By Toyota Audio Plus with Safety Connect
- Integrated Sirius XM Satellite Radio plus Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility
- Two-zone auto air conditionin & heated front seats
- Auto Stop/Start Engine System and
- Dynamic Torque Control AWD with rear driveline disconnect.
The XLE AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $46,605+GST) adds to the LE grade with
- unique 18” alloy wheels
- power moonroof, seats, steering wheel and shifter clad in Softex material
- 4-way power passenger seat
- dimming rear-view mirror with Homelink
- power liftgate
- chrome roof rails
- and LED fog lamps.
This year, you also get Connected Services by Toyota Audio Plus with Remote. That includes Safety Connect, Remote Connect, and Service Connect and a 7” multi-information display, the new features on the LE.
The Limited AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $52,305+GST) builds on the XLE with the following upgrades:
- 20” alloy wheels
- panoramic moon roof
- leather-trimmed seats
- heated and ventilated front row seats with a driver’s seat memory system
- heated steering wheel
- premium LED headlamps
- 120v/100w power outlet.
The Limited trim level then introduces many new features for 2020 – including
- 11-speaker, 1200W JBL Surround Sound audio system with Clari-Fi
- Connected Services By Toyota Premium Audio which adds Destination Assist and embedded navigation
- Wireless charging system for personal electronics
- Power liftgate with proximity foot sensor
- Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD with Multi-Terrain Mode
- and Intelligent Clearance Sonar with Rear Cross-Traffic Braking.
Brand new to the Highlander is the Platinum AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $53,990+GST) – this seven-passenger version riding on unique Platinum grade 20” alloy wheels and introducing unique interior and exterior styling cues. This model builds on the Limited trim level, adding
- Digital Display Rear View Mirror
- Heated second-row captain’s seats
- rain-sensing wipers
- 10” colour heads-up display
- 12.3” touchscreen display
- and a panoramic view monitor.
Four Advanced Hybrid Models
The 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $46,105+GST) is a brand-new trim level for this year. This all-wheel-drive eight-person model rides on 18” alloy wheels. It includes all of the features found in the gas engine LE model and adds
- LED fog lamps
- Steering wheel and shifter clad wrapped in Softex
- and a power liftgate.
The Hybrid XLE AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $48,605+GST) is the hybrid equivalent of gas model. The 2020 model also offers extra standard features compared to the 2019 Hybrid XLE.
The Hybrid Limited AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $54,305+GST) includes everything found on the gas-engine Limited model, with the addition of two 110V, 1500W outlets.
Similar story with the Hybrid Platinum AWD (starting all-in MSRP: $56,605+GST). The feature list is identical to the gas Platinum.
Get behind the wheel
The 2020 Toyota Highlander is going on sale in January 2020 at Heninger Toyota in Calgary. Pre-order today and get 2019 MSRP pricing on a 2020 Highlander. The 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid comes early Spring.
*Pricing is based on Toyota Canada MSRP plus all fees including but not limited to freight & PDI, AMVIC, Air Tax and Tire Levy; excluding Canada Goods and services tax, and any fees associated with financing. 2019 MSRP pricing based on the exact same trim level name.